OMG look what was in my dryer!
OMG look what was in my dryer! I never would have guessed that this much lint had become trapped inside of my dryer. I clean my vent trap EVERY time I put a load of clothes in the dryer–and even taught my kids to do the same; but that’s not what caused this. Failing to promptly clean the vent after the load dried was the problem. Once the lint was allowed to cool, it was able to simply drop off into my dryer shaft, still in tact.
I remember my mom pulling our dryer away from the wall, and removing the back panel off of it so that she could vacuum it out well. She did this at least once a year, and she has been steadfast with this routine since the 80’s. I have personally witnessed the consequences of a faulty, or unkept dryer up-close. My mom’s next door neighbors were displaced a few years back when their home sustained damage from a dryer-fire. They were able to restore the home, but the damage was substantial. Prayerfully, they walked away with their lives.
KFOR-TV News out of Oklahoma City recently reported that eight house fires in that city alone were caused by dryers in 2012. And the National Fire Protection Agency estimates that in 2010, approximately 1 out of every 22 house fires was caused by a washer or dryer. The article also estimates a total loss of more than $236 million in property damages as a result, across America.